Monday 31 March 2014

Beth Fisher talks about life as international hockey player and gay woman in sport.

Meet Beth Fisher Wales' First LGBT Sport Ambassador.




I am an International hockey player. I am also gay. They are totally separate things but I happen to be both.

Growing up I lied to my family and I lied to my friends because I wasn’t sure what their reaction would be if they found out I was gay.  I purposely distanced myself away because I felt I couldn’t be myself. 

I didn’t know anyone who was gay and we certainly were never taught about it in school. The word ‘lesbian’ would often be used as some sort of negative label for someone who wasn’t the flavour of the month.

I also found out very quickly that there was a misconception that girls who played sport were gay. Was it because we had muscles? Was it because we’d rather go to training than go out and get drunk?  Was it because we got sweaty? Sounds silly doesn’t it! But these are the sort of things people would say.

The environment around me made it hard for me to be open about my sexuality when all I ever heard was negativity around the subject.

I was very lucky that when I did come out to my family and friends that they were all 100% supportive.

The fact I am gay isn’t because I play sport. I was born gay just like people are born straight. I happen to play hockey, just like I happen to read books and watch TV. I know plenty of people who are gay who don’t play sport and I know lots of straight people who play sport.

The point is that it shouldn’t matter who or what you are. Sport is a place where everyone should feel comfortable and welcome.

I am both honoured and excited to be a LGBT sport ambassador for Wales. Firstly, playing for Wales has taken me around the world, kept me fit and healthy and been a place where I have met my best friends.  Secondly, I don’t want anyone to feel like I did growing up. No one should be treated differently or feel different for being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transsexual and if me speaking out about it can help one person feel confident in their sexuality then I have done my job.

Be confident and proud of who you are. Because, just like the opposition do on a hockey pitch, if you’re not confident then they will pick out that weakness and use it against you.


Think of me as your team mate and let’s win this game together. 

1 comment:

  1. Great, honest blog. I bet your family are extremely proud of you! X

    ReplyDelete